Cardomom, cardomom, I love cardomom

There was a recipe in the newspaper today and to my suprise, it didn't contain dairy! I had to try it. And as usual, half-way into the preparations I realized that I didn't have half of the ingredients.
So i tweaked here and there, and the result was pretty darn good!

Dairy-free spice cabinet applesauce cookies

1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup cinnamon applesauce
1 heaping cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
heaping 1/4 tsp of: cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardomom
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Stir (not with a mixer!) everything together by hand in a giant bowl. Drop by rounded teaspoons on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 375 for ~10 minutes.
Makes 2 dozen.

MEANWHILE, make yourself some coffee and after putting the grounds in the filter, sprinkle in a little cinnamon and yes, cardomom for a fabulously simple spiced coffee!

And if you haven't tried cardomom, I recommend it highly. It's insanely expensive as far as spices go, but really out of this world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks