Holy cow. Microwave, dairy-free risotto.

I wouldn't believe it either if I didn't taste it with my very tastebuds.
Friends know that I've been dairy-free for the last year thanks to my allergic baby girl. I've learned to adapt in many ways, and if it wasn't for a mother's love I'd surely be scarfing down the pizza and ice cream. But love is a powerful tool.
And so is a microwave.
To satisfy my craving for creaminess, I turned to risotto. To satisfy my long to-do list, I found a recipe that lets you cook it in the microwave, without the constant stirring on the stove. With a few tweaks, I have officially found a staple side dish for our family.

Microwave garlic and pea risotto

3 Tbl olive oil
2-3 cloves minced garlic (we like the stuff!)
1 onion, diced fine
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup liquid of choice (chicken broth or white wine)
frozen peas

In a casserole dish, combine the oil, onion, and garlic. Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
In a separate vessel, heat 1 1/2 cups broth for 2 minutes.
Add hot broth and rice to onion mix, cover and cook on high for 6 minutes.
Add remaining broth and peas. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.

Notes: If you like it less soupy, drop the last broth to 3/4 cup. If you like your cheese, stir in 1/3 cup parm at the end. I have added a scoop of dairy-free cream cheese to boost the creaminess, but that's optional.
The peas are an option too. Add anything you like.

Dairy-free people unite and feast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks