What's for dinner? Non-lazy SSDF (say what?)

For what it's worth, I can be a very lazy person. The difference, however, is that I don't want to be a lazy person.
I want to be the person who hangs her laundry on the line, letting the fresh air fluff and freshen it.
But instead I stick it in the dryer.
I want to be the person who bakes her family's bread, keeping extra loaves stashed in the freezer, all that have a handful of ingredients instead of the long list of non-pronounceables that appear on the store bought kind.
And occasionally, I do. But normally, I shell out the $1.89 for the Italian loaf. I cannot tell a lie.
I'd like to be the person who doesn't have the entire Noggin and PBS schedules memorized and instead does wooden puzzles and fabric crafts with my kids all day long.
But instead I record Yo Gabba Gabba and play the same dang episodes over and over just to get the dishes done. In the dishwasher. With non-ecological soap. And then they'll probably sit in there for a few days until the dishes pile up on the counter and I have to replay Yo Gabba Gabba just to unload the dishwasher, so I can load it back up again.

But salad dressing, my friends, is one aspect of my life where I totally splurge on time. The bottled stuff, no matter the brand or price, just isn't as good as homemade fresh stuff. And if you're going to make yourself eat salad by the bowlful, it really deserves a good douse of tasty dressing.
It can be as easy as oil and vinegar with a little chopped shallots and still be delicious.
Don't believe me? Ask the group of people I served this salad to last weekend.
This week's recipe goes out to them, and not our OSU Buckeyes because they blew it.

SSDF
The SSDF stands for "Same Salad, Different Fruit" because my family has served this same salad with mandarin oranges, strawberries, blueberries, etc. All delicious.

Salad base:
Romaine lettuce
Chopped celery
A little red onion if you like

Toppings:
Fruit of your choice
Sugared almonds (Place sliced almonds in a frying pan and cover with sugar. Toast/caramelize over med-hi heat stirring constantly until the sugar is just melted. Watch-- it'll burn quickly. Immediately pour onto a plate to cool. Break apart before serving.)

Dressing, which goes great with any salad, not just this one:
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 Tbl sugar
2 Tbl red wine vinegar
2 Tbl fresh chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
a few dashes of tobasco sauce


Get your lazy self up and make this one-- it's a keeper!

Comments

Unknown said…
I love this post and you and I are the same kind of chicks! Although I can not claim to be good at making my own salad dressing but I may give this one a try!

:-)

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks