Zucchini Tomato Pie - the way to send out the summer

I don't know about anyone else, but my zucchini plants were a major bummer this year.
Sure, I didn't give them the normally needed TLC, and sure I did find the world's largest weed (see photo) planted right next to them, but when it comes to zucchini, I always thought that you shouldn't take care of them because if you do, you'll be swimming in them for a month.


But there I was, a failure of a garden year, and left with one gigantic zucchini, and a major hankering for a garden full of them. So I swallowed my pride and went to the store and actually bought zucchini in the months of August and September.

It was a sad and sorrowful day.

But it was so very worth it.

When it comes to zucchini recipes, there are thousands. This one is my new favorite savory dish because a)it's super simple and b) my son's exact words were, "gee, mom, I thought it was going to be really gross but it's actually pretty good. Can I have some more?" And really, you can't make that stuff up.

Zucchini Tomato Pie
2 cups chopped zucchini
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup shredded cheddar (or other - be creative!) cheese
3/4 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1/2 - 3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 400. Spray a deep dish pie plate with cooking spray.
Right in the pie dish, mix up the zucchini, tomato, and onion. In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs and add everything else (cheese through the seasoning.)
Pour the mixture over the zucchini and stick it in the oven.
Bake for about 30 minutes. Check the center with a knife to make sure it's set.

Then go out and stake out next year's zucchini plot. Of course.

Comments

Unknown said…
This seems like such an easy recipe and it sounds scrumptious. I will definitely try this! Thanks, Karrie!

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks