Creole chicken = Fattest Tuesday ever.

This year because life with involved children is absolutely nutso, we celebrated Fat Tuesday on Monday. I made a dash for king cake and paczkis after dropping the kids off at school, and then between everything else ran to the grocery store to buy ingredients for what has become my FAVORITE SLOW COOKER DISH IN THE WORLD.
Probably the universe.
(I have thrown out slow cooker meals because congealed yuck makes me want to congeal yuck of my own.)

It just so happens that it's a perfect dish for celebrating Mardi Gras, or really anything. Next week I might just celebrate Thursday. Or sunshine. Or waking up.

Paired with plastic beads, zydeco music, and king cake (the paczkis are for breakfast tomorrow!), this has been the best Fat Tuesday on a Monday I've ever had.

And so, I urge you all to celebrate something, sometime soon. This rocks.

Fat Monday Creole Chicken

1 pack boneless, skinless chicken thigs
1 pound polish kielbasa, cut into bite sized pieces
5-6 green onions, chopped
1 can (6oz.) tomato paste
1 can petite diced tomatoes (14 oz)
pinch of salt
pepper to taste
a few dashes of Tobasco
cajun seasoning (such as Luzianne)
Rice

In a slow cooker, place chicken thighs. Sprinkle with cajun seasoning. Dump in the kielbasa, the green onions, tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, Tobasco. Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or high for less time. (You know your slow cooker better than I do.)

Prepare rice as you normally do. Serve the creole chicken over the rice.

From the taste testers:
"This is the best Mardi Gras in the entire world."
"Do I have to eat the tomatoes?"
"I ate so much I think I'm going to blow up, but I'll have just a little more." (This was me, groaning in delight.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks