As requested, zucchini recipes galore

I love, love, love hearing from readers! After my column about zucchini ran in the newspaper, someone contacted me and asked about recipes. I'm happy to share two of my own favorites, and a new favorite care of my Aunt 'Na. Thanks, 'Na!

Marinated Grilled Zucchini
My cousin and I taught this recipe at Buehler's back when they had cooking classes. It was part of an Italian Appetizer party menu.

2 zucchini (small)
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tbl fresh lemon juice
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and red pepper flakes to taste

Wash zucchini and slice thinly on a diagonal. Grill zucchini on an oiled rack for 6-8 minutes per side. (You want grill marks and tender zucchini.) Remove and cool. Meanwhile, whisk together garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, salt, and red pepper flakes (optional). In a baking dish, layer zucchini and cover with marinade. Cover and chill. Best served at room temperature.

Zucchini Sausage Spoonbread

3 cups shredded zucchini
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup (4oz.) grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 - 3/4 lb ground sausage, browned

Place zucchini in a strainer over bowl and let drain for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oven to 400. Grease a baking dish (like a small casserole or gratin dish).
Squeeze out the zucchini.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add sour cream, cheese, onion, butter, and salt, mixing to combine well. Stir in zucchini, cornmeal, and browned sausage. Pour into prepared baking dish.
Bake ~25 minutes or until edges are golden brown and center is set. Check it with a knife. (Keep in mind the baking time often depends on the size of your dish. Best bet is to check it often and find the time that works best for your dish.)

Aunt 'Na's fabulously easy zucchini
My farthest away aunt recently came to visit. She remains super cool, fun, and beautiful. I wish I knew her more, but instead I'll just eat her zucchini recipe.

Zucchini
Can of diced tomatoes (I like the "garlic" flavored diced tomatoes to save a step instead of adding minced garlic)
Mozzerella cheese

Slice zucchini thinly and spread out in a baking dish. Pour the can of 'maters on top. Microwave it until the zucchini is about cooked and tender. Douse the whole works in mozzerella cheese and nook it a little more until the cheese is melted.

Since we are dairy-free around here, I haven't made this with the cheese yet. But I imagine if you diced the sliced zucchini so there were little bits, you could serve it with crackers or crostini for dipping.

OH GREAT, NOW MY MOUTH IS WATERING.

Comments

My mouth is watering too!!
I have a boat load of zucchini on kitchen bar right now! Thanks for some new ideas.

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks