An empty nester's lunch, and introducing what's for dinner

One of the many beauties of a laptop is the ability to take it anywhere. Today, as I type, my youngest is taking her sweet old time eating a delicious lunch of noodles mixed with a meat filling, of which I will explain later.
Today is her first real day of eating lunch at home while the other two are off at school, and although she can't quite express it, she's probably wondering where her brother is.
This is his first full week of kindergarten, but if you ask the little sister, she'll tell you "at 'chool." I suppose she might also be thinking that she's happy to have the run of the house, dibs on her mom, and the ability to watch her favorite TV shows and not have to watch big brother skateboard or listen to big sister practice, begrudgingly, the piano. And I admit that even though I miss my other children, I'm enjoying those things too. Mostly the chance to sneak back in time, when I was a one-kid-mom, focused on stacking blocks, reading books made of stiff cardboard, and enjoying the slow-paced life of toddlerhood.
For example, there are a ton of hummingbirds out today. Just as I sit here, over this long lunch, have watched them come and go, sipping nectar from the flowers around my yard, purposely avoiding the hummingbird feeder I put up for them.
If I had been juggling three kid lunches and skateboards and piano practice, I don't think I would have noticed them.
In any case, I have really enjoyed my lunch hour today. Not only for the peaceful reflection of the changes of motherhood, but also for some pretty delicious leftovers.

Speaking of leftovers... I've decided to add a feature to this blog, sharing a favorite recipe each Monday. (Please stop back each week to see "What's for Dinner?"!) This week I'm posting what I made for dinner last night and am happily eating today as well. Probably for lunch and dinner, because I got a little squash happy. But that's a good thing.

Turkey Stuffed Acorn Squash

2 acorn squash, cut, seeds scooped, and cooked*
1 pound ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 medium tomato, diced
brown sugar

Saute onion in a little oil until translucent. Add turkey, breaking up, and cook thoroughly. Add salt and diced tomato and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Spoon meat filling into acorn squash and cover with as much brown sugar as you like. Broil them until the brown sugar gets crusty and delicious.
Goes well with a nice salad for a late summer meal.

*To cook acorn squash, cut in half and scoop seeds. Put cut side down in a dish with ~1" water, cover, and microwave for 8+ minutes, checking to make sure the squash is soft. Or you can bake it in the oven, but really, I just don't have time for that sort of thing...

Comments

Will have to try that recipe - my hubby and I like squash. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks