Kielbasa-garlic-bean-potato-spinach soup, I tell you!

This morning I reached out to grab the latest bottle of shampoo to grace its way to my shower. A new product for me, I admit I was drawn to it in the store by the hip color and style of bottle. I should also mention that I gave it a the whiff test-- you know, where you open the bottle and blow a puff of air towards your nose to smell it and hopefully not a plug of shampoo comes out and lands on your upper lip-- and liked what I smelled.
Fruity, yet it didn't make me hungry.
I was sold. I really don't like beauty products that make me hungry, and just thinking about that takes me back to the vanilla sugar cookie phase a few years back where every woman I knew was walking around smelling like a giant delicious dessert. Even myself. And at times I had to stop myself from sniffing my arm just so I wouldn't have the urge to grab a Lorna Doone or whip up a batch of shortbread.
But I digress...
My new shampoo, along with its flashy color and what not, advertises that it has nectarine and some coral flower that I'm not even sure exists. While sudsing up I started thinking about this shampoo, and wondering if they really use nectarines when they make it.
I imagined a giant vat of shampoo with a massive arm in the middle, stirring stirring stirring as a little man in a white lab coat drops in his nectarine pit.
"HAHAHA! Nectarine shampoo!" and he's still got juice dripping down his chin.
I ask you, what's wrong with soap? Real soap? Do we really need snacks in our shampoo? And is it false advertising if they say it's nectarine shampoo and it doesn't really have nectarines in it?
Which brings me to soup.
This week, as the weather gets even colder yet and here in these parts we're gearing up for peak fall season, you just can't help but make a giant pot of soup. Have it simmering on the stove and your entire house will smell as warm as the liquid in the pot. And man, is it good stuff.
In honor of the annoying shampoo that I'll be stuck with for a while, I am appropriately naming this soup based on all of its major ingredients.

Kielbasa-garlic-bean-potato-spinach Soup

1 pound Polish kielbasa, cut into little slices
6-7 cloves garlic, chopped
1 16-20 ounce can cannelini beans
7-8 cups chicken broth
1 pound redskin potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
6 ounces fresh spinach
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste (although you won't need salt at all!)

In a big soup pot, cook the kielbasa slices until they are brown. Add a little oil if need be.
Remove the kielbasa and in the remaining fat, cook the garlic about 30-60 seconds.
Add beans, broth, and potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are soft.
Add the spinach and stir stir stir. Cook until it is tender, but not mushy.
Stir in the vinegar, season to taste.

Soup like this just craves a crusty bread. I'm just telling it like it is.

Comments

Kristin said…
Serious goodness. MMMMMMM.


We recently had the Rustic Cabbage Soup at 101 Cookbooks, but I transformed it to be mostly your soup (swap cabbage for the spinach and bacon for the kielbasa).
cannelini beans! cannelini beans!!

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks