Meatless "Monday" - Baked rice and beans

OK, OK, I know it's not Monday. I'm late this week, due to travels around the country and around the county. (There's a post here, on the Mamazina Blog, that sums it up.)
But don't let that distract you from what is probably my favorite vegetarian (VEGAN, no less!) recipe. This one is so easy and so delicious, even my son will lick the bowl.

In honor of him...

Bowl-licking baked rice and beans

1/2 onion, chopped
1 Tbl olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 - 1 can beans (I love Great Northern for this one)
1/2 cup black olives (optional-- i put it on 1/2 the casserole for myself)
1 Tbl soy sauce
a little peppa'
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 cup white rice
2 cups water

Saute onion in oil until translucent. Add garlic, cook one minute more.
Mix all ingredients (including sauteed onion mix) in a large bowl, the dump into a greased casserole dish. Or be lazy like me and just mix it all in the casserole dish-- still works.
Bake at 350 for around 40-45 minutes-- watch to see when the rice is cooked.

Another great benefit of this dish? Assemble the whole thing in the morning and stick it in the fridge. Bake it off just before dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks