Meatless Monday-- The girl that served tofu

We had a very long discussion on Facebook, my friends and I, trying to figure out what I could call tofu so that my kids would eat it. It seems that the word "tofu" has gotten really bad press over the years (at least in my house), mostly because of my husband who thinks it is the world's worst culinary ingredient.
"You've never had it prepared well." I responded.
"I'm not eating it," he replied. And I imagine under his breath he was mumbling "where's the beef?"
But beyond his opinion, the word "tofu" is a terribly unappealing name. Toe and Foo. Together, it's nearly a one word euphemism for toe jam. (I reckon that's where the name probably originated.)
This being a Meatless Monday, I was going to make it anyway.
From a Cooking Light book, I prepared Fettuccine and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce, with a few adjustments, as these things go.
I was all prepared to tell the kids I was making "veggie noodles" with peanut sauce, when a friend of mine coined it "tofufunfetti" and so it was born.
My version ended up being a little too spicy for the kids, but I personally ate half of the bowl before it even made it to the kitchen table. Literally, half the bowl. That's like 1/4 pound of pasta plus all the other fun stuff. Even the tofu.

TOFUFUNFETTI with peanut sauce

1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbl brown sugar
2 Tbl rice vinegar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp Siracha sacue (*never had this? It's amazing. Substitute with a little hot sauce, or leave it out if you want to make it more kid-friendly.)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound fettuccine
1 pound firm tofu, drained and sliced into "noodles"
3/4 cup sliced green onions
1 cup shredded carrots

Combine broth through garlic in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring. Remove from heat.
Cook pasta until al dente (and name this dish tofufunfetti al dente like Jane suggested). Drain. To the hot noodles add everything-- the sauce, the carrots, the onions, the tofu.

Garnish with a little chopped cilantro if you have it on hand, or chopped peanuts. Or don't garnish anything, just stand in front of the stove and shovel it in like I did.

Comments

Andrea said…
General Tso's Tofu:

1 box of extra firm tofu
1 egg (or substitute)
3/4 cup cornstarch
vegetable oil
2/3 cup vegetable broth
3 green onions, chopped
1 tbsp. minced ginger
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. white vinegar
red pepper flakes (to taste)

(Serve with steamed broccoli and white rice)

First, drain & cut tofu. Dip in egg/sub and then cover in cornstarch. Fry in heated vegetable oil until golden brown. Remove the tofu for now and set aside.

Drain most of the oil, leaving about 3 tbsps, or just use fresh if you prefer. On medium heat, sautee onions, ginger and garlic for about 2 minutes. Then add the vegetable broth, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper & vinegar. Mix 2 tbsps water & some cornstarch together and add to the sauce. Mix well.

Add the prepared tofu back into the sauce, coat evenly, and heat thoroughly.
Sounds very good! I'll have to see if I can talk my husband into it... maybe something for a Friday in Lent. :)
BECKY said…
Love the "toe jam" comment!! My husband, nor anyone in my family, would ever even try a bite of that nasty toe jam!! I've had a bite, and I guess mine wasn't "prepared well" either, because it was yucky! Sorry :(

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks