Pumpkin black bean soup - perfect for Halloween!

I was never quite sure why the colors of Halloween were orange and black. Is it the pumpkin that eventually rots on your front porch? Is it the orange teeth of the witch dressed in black?
In any case, we're stuck with the color theme which is unfortunate for me because I just bought "rust" colored shoes with black soles that make me look extremely festive in October, but rather goofy the rest of the year.

Oh well.

If there's one good thing that comes out of this orange-and-black thing we've got going on, it's got to be this: my new favorite soup.

Many thanks to my friend, Jennifer, for serving me her leftovers for lunch a few weeks ago. I am a changed woman!


The results are in:

Says my husband to the kids, "next time mommy gets grumpy, let's make her a pot of this soup because she can't stop smiling when she's eating it."


I don't really care what the rest of the family thinks...


Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

(You can make this vegetarian if you want, by subbing out the chicken stock for vegetable broth. Otherwise, bring on the flavor!)


1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes

1 can (15 oz) pumpkin

1/2 cup red onion, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

olive oil

4 cups chicken stock (or veggie if you want)

1 Tbl cumin

1 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 big dash nutmeg

1/2 tsp pepper

balsamic vinegar for serving


1. In a large pot, saute onion, garlic, and seasonings in olive oil. (Best to wait to throw the garlic in right at the end so it doesn't burn.)

2. Dump in everything else. (Don't you love these dump recipes?)

3. Puree and heat until warm. (I have a stick blender that works so well for these types of soups. In fact, if you don't have one, this is a good excuse to go get one or put it on your Christmas list.)

4. Serve with balsamic vinegar drizzled on the top, unless you're my mother who apparently doesn't like vinegar. I for one think it makes the world a better place to live.

5. Invite me over for leftovers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bedtime

Darn the first entry -- THE BOOTS.

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too