Late summer wouldn't be the same without it

August 8th is officially "sneak some zucchini on your neighbor's porch day" but I'm celebrating a little early this year. A friend recently bestowed upon me some lovely zucchini before leaving on vacation, and I thought that there would be no better way to use this gift than to dig out my grandma's recipe.
The paper, a photocopy that is held together by yellowed scotch tape has her very distinctive handwriting. I'm pretty sure that handwriting lessons were pretty strict back in the 30's, because it seems that most older women have the same handwriting. My grandma's, however, has lovely capital B's and lower case s's.
We closed the vault on grandma's ashes just last week, so I think it's fitting to bake her recipe this week. And if anyone drops some zucchini on your front porch in the upcoming weeks, I offer this recipe for you to try. I'm planning on eating a slice or two and playing some Solitaire, in honor of the woman we all loved so much.

Grandma K's Zucchini Bread, exactly as it is written, minus the soy comment!

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream (I'm using soy yogurt so the whole allergic family can enjoy some too)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups ground zucchini
1/2 cup finely ground walnuts
1/2 cup raisins or craisins (soak in hot water for a short time and drain well)

Put all ingredients in bowl and mix well with mixer (except craisins.)
When mixed, add craisins and mix them in by hand. Put all in 1 bundt pan or 2 bread pans or 5 tiny bread pans (less time for tiny pans)

Nut crunch topping (if desired)
(Put on about 10-15 minutes before done.)
Mix together: 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup chopped nuts, 1/2 tsp cinnamon.

Topping is very good but not necessary.

Bake at 350 for 55 minutes - 1 hour.

...And there you have it, straight from the paper. Happy baking!

Comments

BECKY said…
Karrie
What a lovely tribute! I'm so glad that I have some recipes with my mom's handwriting....unfortunately none with either grandmas, though. I LOVE zucchini bread, too, so I will try it! Thanks!
Loren said…
Hi Karrie,
Thanks for the recipe. I have garden squash to use up. Wish we could have met in person this weekend. Paula is really nice and we had a great time.
Karrie said…
Happy baking, Becky! And Loren, I would have loved to meet you, too. Hopefully someday!!

Popular posts from this blog

Pepe le Pew and Cupid, too

Bedtime

Old mom, new tricks